Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Turning Clutter Into Money

One challenge I am faced with is that I am a packrat. I hate getting rid of stuff, because I find I usually need it after I get rid of it. So I go through periods that the clutter becomes too much and I have to get rid of it. I do a focused cleanup in the spring, but some of my fall cleanup requires me to get rid of stuff as I do my big cleanups. After cleaning out the garage this weekend and waiting for the stuff to sell I am reminded that some people may not be educated on ways to get rid of clutter. So as you do your cleanup in a room make 4 piles, keep, donate, sell, and trash. Now lets go through those piles.

The keep pile should be stuff that you use, will make or save you money, or that you love. If it does not fit into those catagories then get rid of it. Donate is stuff that is in good shape, but is not worth the trouble of trying to sell. The stuff you sell you can do in a garage sale, Ebay, or my favorite craigslist.com. I prefer craigslist because I rarely have a day to just sit there waiting to sell stuff, and in the weather never fits my schedule. Don't forget to seperate the trash into recycle and landfil.

This sounds a lot easier than it is, but you will feel much better after it is over, and hopefully you can turn some clutter into cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment